Also see Otter Hole Plantation
John Allan Stuart was editor of the Charleston Mercury and waged the battle of States Rights on its editorial page. He and his family lived in Beaufort for many years in a house that later became the Sea Island Hotel. Their Hilton Head land was bought from John Stoney and lay on the northwest side of Broad Creek, between Gardner's and Muddy Creek Place. It was bought in wartime by the Sea Island Cotton Company and sold to the United States Cotton Company in 1888. In 1896 the latter firm went bankrupt land was bought by the southerner, W.J. Verier and later sold to F.E. Wilder, who in turn sold it to W.L. Hurley, from whom it was purchased by Thorne and Loomis. The family name was sometimes spelled Stewart.
Holmgren, Virginia C., Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle, p. 133