St. Luke's Parish

(Also see Zion Chapel of Ease)

“....sure evidence of new settlers - was the dividing of St. Helena Parish. The new parish, St. Luke’s, included Hilton Head. However, a new church building was not to be erected for another twenty years (c. 1777) and so the parishioners of St. Luke’s went on attending St. Helena’s in Beaufort whenever they were in town and recorded their births, marriages and deaths in that church register. “

“It (Zion, 1788) came under the administration of the new St. Luke’s Episcopal Church recently built on the mainland along Euhaw Road between Coosawhatchie and Scriven’s Ferry. St. Luke’s was rebuilt half a mile north of the first site in 1824 on what is now Route 170, about three miles north of the junction with Route 46, and still later  was sold to the Methodists (1875), who still worship there.”

Holmgren, Virginia C., Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle, p. 51, 63, 113

“Everything south of the Broad River was called the Euhaw District of St. Helena’s Parish....In 1767 the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly passed the act establishing St. Luke’s Parish (‘county’ in the Euhaw District)...in 1768 the British government disallowed the act for political reasons...there never was an official St. Luke’s Anglican Church...the Parish (county) lasted until the Reconstruction Constitution of 1865 established county designations.”

Rowland, Dr. Lawrence, A Brief Overview of the History of St. Luke’s Parish from 1685-1865,
The Bluffton Historical Preservation Society Report, October 1993



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506