One of the most frequently used landing places on Hilton Head from its discovery to the 1956 building of the James F. Byrnes Crossing, was a bluff on Skull Creek. Boats rowed or sailed southward from Charleston and Beaufort found here a safe, sheltered landing, protected from the gales of the open water of Port Royal Sound. It eventually came to be on the dividing line between Seabrook and Myrtle Bank Plantations and from it public roads branched out to every point on the island. If it had a name prior to Seabrook’s purchase of the site, it is not now known.
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 36