The plantation family of Scott, closely allied with the great plantation families of Pope, Norton, Chaplin, Jenkins and Baynard, was represented on Hilton Head Island as early as 1781 when William Scott was a member of the Revolutionary War party, the Bloody Legion. In 1791 he bought 365 acres of Coggins Point Plantation, known since as Grass Lawn Plantation, from his cousin, William Pope. By 1799 oceanfront Grass Lawn, eventually enlarged to 600 acres, was the seat of William’s elder brother, James Joseph Scott (1754-1804) who had acquired The Mount Plantation (or less elegantly “Scott’s Hump”) on St. Helena’s only five years earlier. The 1798 Bible of Joseph James and Catherine (Adams) Scott is extant, showing in detail the ramifications of the family’s numerous marital alliances. After confiscation by the federal government in 1861, 400 acres of Grass Lawn was sold to William Wilson for $90 in 1876; he sold it to R.C. McIntire whose heirs sold it to Will Clyde in 1895.
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.36