Mathews Plantation

Fast Facts:

Owners -

  • The Rev. Philip Mathews and his wife Rebecca Davant owned two plantations, Sand Hill and Folly Field.  The combined holding was often called Mathews’ Land.
  • Part of Sand Hill was erroneously included in Marshlands and sold to Negroes.
  • The Mathews’ heirs redeemed the remaining 200 acres on July 10, 1874.
  • W. D. Brown bought 500 acres of Folly Field in 1876, when he also acquired Possum Point and Cherry Hill.
  • Will Clyde
  • Roy Rainey
  • Thorne and Loomis

Maps -        

    Hack, "Hilton Head, South Carolina, before 1861"

Bibliography -

    Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
    Holmgren, Hilton Head Island Research



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506