Lighthouse Landing

The federal government retained enough acreage of confiscated Leamington on which to erect a lighthouse in 1881.  On Broad Creek, at the point where Shipyard and Leamington met, a dock was built in order to land supplies for the maintenance of the lighthouse and for World War II Camp McDougal which flourished only briefly. The dock has since burned..

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 25

 



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506