The area around the head of Old House (Muddy) Creek became known as Jonesville after a family of Negroes of that name secured the property and settled there following the 1861 confiscation.

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.23

South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506