Isla de Los Osos

Spanish maps antedating 1663 generally designate the entire island as Isla De Los Osos – Island of the Bears.  No other name could have been given by the Indians when the first Europeans arrived in the sixteenth century.

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 22



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506