Gaskin Bank

As early as the 1775 Sayre and Bennett map the triangular shaped area from Braddock’s Point to Scarborough Head and extending outward into the Atlantic approximately 15 miles to a point roughly halfway between those headlands, was designated Gaskin Bank.  It represents a vast underwater bank which effectively mitigates the violence of oceanic storms and protects the island’s wide sandy beaches from erosion.  Gaskin is apparently a simplification of Gascoigne (pronounced “gas’-co-ny), for Captain John Gascoigne.

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.19



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506