Fyler Plantation

Fast Facts:

Owners -

  • Dr. Samuel Fyler (1782-1821), moved to Hilton Head, bought a plantation adjoining that of John and Mary Ann (Ladson) Talbird and commenced the practice of medicine.
  • Thomas Henry Barksdale bought from Ann Talbird Fyler, widow, in 1822
  • William Seabrook acquired in 1832 on his death.

Bibliography -

    Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names

Addtional Information:

Dr. Samuel Fyler (1782-1821), son of Ulysses and Abigail Fyler of Torringford, Connecticut , moved to Hilton Head, bought a plantation adjoining that of John and Mary Ann (Ladson) Talbird and commenced the practice of medicine.  He married Ann, daughter of his Talbird neighbors, around 1808.  Their first two children, Mary Ann and Aurelia, died in 1815 and 1813 respectfully as their plantation tombstones show.  Their son, John Samuel Fyler, born 1814 on Hilton Head, accompanied his mother to Connecticut after the 1821 death of his father, the widow Fyler having married Dr. Luman Wakefield of Winchester, Connecticut in her father’s Beaufort townhouse in 1822.  The Fyler Plantation was sold that same year to Thomas Henry Barksdale at whose 1832 death it went to William Seabrook.

Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.18.



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506