Fort Welles

The name of Fort Walker was officially changed by General Order 29, Headquarters, Expeditionary Corps, Hilton Head, S.C., November 15,1861, by order of Gen. T. W. Sherman to Fort Welles, honoring Gideon Welles, U.S. Secretary of the Navy.  The Welles name rapidly disappeared from usage.



---
South Carolina Genealogy & History Library

The Heritage Library Foundation
852 William Hilton Parkway | 2nd FloorSuite A-2
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928
p. 843.686.6560 | f. 843.686-6506