The broad, meandering tidal creek which drains Springfield Plantation into Port Royal Sound has usually been known as Fish Haul Creek although it was briefly known as Mitchelville Creek. The name apparently derives from the Anglican word ‘gaul’, meaning a ‘bay’; ‘fish gaul’ is rough and difficult of pronunciation, easily becoming ‘fish haul’. As early as the 1767 will of Samuel Green who lived on its west shore, it was called Fish Haul Creek. Fish Haul Plantation, so called by John Barnwell, Jr. when he sold it in 1760, was a principal seat of the Pope family who inherited it from Samuel Green, stretches westward from the creek’s marshes to Myrtle Bank.
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.15